CanvasMap is a web mapping solution that allows you to create:
- Both static and dynamic maps
- Maps that are simple or include typical GIS features
- Complete geospatial application support with scale bars, navigation, position information, and other features.
- CanvasMap is also being extended to include 3D maps
Below is an example that is running in this page in an "iframe" tag.
CanvasMap has been created using the Canvas HTML 5 element while the 3D extension is based on OpenGL.
- Vector data as points, polylines, and polygons using standards such as GeoJSON
- Standard raster data in PNG and JPEG formats (these can be georeferenced)
- Web tile services compatible with OpenStreetMap
- Tiled vector and raster layers from BlueSpray
- Customizable layers that can be created client side
- Customizable fills and strokes using traditional HTML styles or user-friendly dialogs
- Position information in pixels, reference (map) units, and geographic units
- Custom layers with just about any type of data you would like to display on a map
- Multiple projection systems including: geographic, Google Mercator (compatible with OpenStreetMap tiles), and Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)
Note that CanvasMap does not support web service calls such as Web Map Service (WMS) and Web Feature Service (WFS). This is because WMS has caused serious performance problems and been replaced by Web Tile Services such as those used by OpenStreetMap (OSM). CanvasMap does support tile formats that are much higher performance including OSM and ones generated by BlueSpray. BlueSpray is a GIS application developed by SchoonerTurtles and provides data preperation for Canvas Map. You can download BlueSpray from www.schoonerturtles.com.
The first step for most folks is the Getting Started page and then move on to the "Tutorials". Then, create your own maps and let us know where you publish them!